Skip to main content

Brooklyn artist creates 'Star Wars' portraits using staples

There are so many kinds of artists as there are types of art. But James Haggerty is truly in a class of his own, since he is one of only a few masters that create amazing portraits using staples.


   "When my wife and I were expecting our first child I made a switch from using a paintbrush or etching needle in my art to using a common office stapler," wrote Haggerty in a blog post. "I think my staple mosaics are not a far departure from the etchings or cityscape oil paintings that I am known for. Staples, just like an etched line, can be bold and graphic or soft and subdued."

   With extraordinary patience and an organized plan, the award winning painter and printmaker from Brooklyn makes detailed mosaics of iconic Star Wars characters using thousands of multi-colored office staples.

   Haggerty starts each session by creating several ink drawings before transferring his favorite sketch onto a piece of painted black board. Once the design is etched, he plants individual staples into the canvas. The dark paint provides a filler for the blank space in each mosaic and also functions as a backdrop for the colorful metal fasteners. Each portrait takes him about 6 months and up to 33,000 staples to complete.



   As a huge Star Wars fan, I'm truly impressed with these creations. To better appreciate the detail of Haggerty's mosaics, check out his official website.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enigmatic Shapes and Psychedelic Patterns

To say that I love Sanagi 's work is an understatement. Looking at her art feels sort of therapeutic, and I find her drawings refreshingly intricate. They're trippy, psychedelic, and resemble something that you might see under a microscope. Not much is Googleable about Sanagi, but that's fine. There aren't many artists these days that still pull off the whole mysterious vibe, so I commend her for that. By the way... they're all hand-drawn with pen and ink.

These peg dolls would make a cool nursery decoration for Trekkies

I'm so dad of a little girl. Look at me posting about toys and kids apps more frequently now. Anyway, I really love this Star Trek Enterprise plaything. It's made of 100% wood and features characters from The Next Generation . It's smooth, built to last, and perfect for little hands. I'm not just sure if it's still available for purchase on Etsy. [h/t: Tor ]

The Adorable Sculptures of Yen Yen Lo

These images are from a series of wall sculptures created by Yen Yen Lo . Here you can see her intricately textured ceramic pieces, looking downright adorable. Yen Yen Lo's eye for the unique and whimsical is delightful. Apparently they are not intended for kids under 16. Fifteen-year-olds cannot be trusted with fragile stuff. Get them a Funko Pop instead.