Skip to main content

Cosmic Romance


On a rainy evening in Baguio City, my wife and I went out of our claustrophobic hotel room to see About Time, a good-natured fantasy romance written and directed by Richard Curtis. We had just finished having sex and there was nothing else to do so we decided to hit the cinema. We sat somewhere in the center, about midway up. I was quite tired and not really into these kinds of films, but after hearing Tim Lake's first lines, my eyes became glued to the screen.

"I always knew we were a fairly odd family. First there was me. Too tall, too skinny, too orange. My mum was lovely, but not like other mums. There was something solid about her. Something rectangular, busy and unsentimental. Her fashion icon was the queen. Dad, well, he was more normal. He always seemed to have time on his hands. After giving up teaching university students on his 50th birthday, he was eternally available for a leisurely chat or to let me win at table tennis.

And then there was mum's brother, Uncle Desmond. Always impeccably dressed. He spent the days just, well, being Uncle Desmond. He was the most charming and least clever man you could ever meet. His mind was on other things, though we never found out what. And then, finally there was Catherine. Katie. Kit Kat. My sister. In a household of sensible jackets and haircuts there was this, well, what can I call her - nature thing. With her elfin eyes, her purple T-shirts and her eternally bare feet. She was then, and still is to me, about the most wonderful thing in the world."
 
   The movie's enchanting couple was played by Domhnall Gleeson and Rachel McAdams, an actress familiar with the role of time traveller’s wife from both that 2009 flick and Woody Allen’s Midnight in Paris. Their love was written in the stars. But as soon as Tim and Mary had found affection, an unexpected glitch in time travel made them strangers again, so our ginger-haired protagonist had to arrange a whole new meeting with her future wife. And that was just the beginning of their cosmic romance.

   About Time was plagued by countless plot holes due to its bizarre time-travel premise. Tim was informed by his dad (Bill Nighy) on his 21st birthday that the men in his family can travel in time. Not Star Trek or Back to the Future stuff, but "rational" time travel, always backward and for strictly personal reasons. ("No killing Adolf Hitler or shagging Helen of Troy.") Just go into a dark place, close your eyes, clench your fists tight, and think of the exact moment you want to go to, and you will find yourself there.
 
   In spite of its flaws and inconsistencies, the film had truly delivered. It was beautifully told and well acted. We laughed, we cried; me and my wife thoroughly enjoyed it. If Tim's journey wasn't so darned hilarious, the movie's numerous gaps in logic might be unforgivable.

   Afterward we went for a late dinner at a well-lit Asian fusion restaurant across the mall. We talked briefly about the film while sipping hot tea. Anne was ready for her spicy lo mein and tuna goma-ae, but I was still under the movie's spell.
 
   "What are you thinking about?" my wife asked.
   
   "Oh, I'm just googling that gorgeous blonde Charlotte." I said looking at my phone. "Her name's Margot  Robbie and she's from Australia."
 
   But what I was really thinking was how grand it would be to own a nice little house along the beach where you can enjoy breakfast with your loved ones on the deck overlooking the ocean, every single day, no matter what the weather.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enigmatic Shapes and Psychedelic Patterns

To say that I love Sanagi 's work is an understatement. Looking at her art feels sort of therapeutic, and I find her drawings refreshingly intricate. They're trippy, psychedelic, and resemble something that you might see under a microscope. Not much is Googleable about Sanagi, but that's fine. There aren't many artists these days that still pull off the whole mysterious vibe, so I commend her for that. By the way... they're all hand-drawn with pen and ink.

James DeRosso's ceramic monsters

I really like these whimsical ceramic creatures by James DeRosso. Yes, they have bulging eyes and toothy grins, but they're not scary at all. The Portland-based artist started making cute monsters while he was a student to jokingly create gargoyle-like guardians for the kiln. After other students kept taking his quirky little figures, he realized there was a market for them. "I'm enjoying the whole monster making niche," James says. "It's amazingly gratifying to be doing ceramics full time and especially to be a teacher introducing kids to the joy of clay." Be sure to visit his website and like his Facebook page for the latest monster news.

Here's a trippy reimagining of the zodiac animals.

These are the animals from the zodiac calendar as created by Japanese artist feebee . I can't even begin to imagine how long painting these hybrid creatures on wood panel must take, but the results are pretty amazing. Some of them look terrifying, some aren't scary at all, and one looks like the Pokemon Meowth. They're all eye-catching, but none of them mean as much to me as the one representing my own sign, the Sheep (also known as the Goat or Ram). The twelve animal signs represent twelve different types of personalities. It is said that people born in the Year of the Sheep can be very indecisive and lazy. Hmmm, I guess Chinese zodiac is pretty much legit.