Skip to main content

Latch


Kim wanted Italian, so we went to a place called Afrique’s. This was in Iloilo, a city I know nothing about. We ordered our Sicilian pasta, a seafood pizza, some garlic bread, and a pitcher of cucumber cooler from a fine looking waitress. While waiting for the food, I went out for a quick smoke.

   It was a long day for the both of us. We were bone tired after eight straight hours of repacking and distribution of relief goods to victims of Typhoon Yolanda. Iloilo was one of the cities that was most affected by the tropical cyclone, and with the help from our employer, the LGUs, courageous volunteers and generous partners, we were able to distribute relief packs and conduct medical missions to the affected areas.

   Kim was nine years younger than I. She wore a light green spaghetti strap tank top, some cut off jean shorts, and a pair of flip-flops. There were no rings or bracelets on her hands. Her skin was lightly tanned and her silky black hair fell around her shoulders almost to her waistline. She had nice athletic legs, a trim waist, and shapely hips.

  When she’s not spending time volunteering for disaster relief, she’s doing content marketing and web design. She was from Bacolod and had braces and was witty and could play the violin. I realized that the best way to win her friendship was through pot. So, I took out my pipe, we went out for a toke, and the next thing I knew, she was lecturing me about marketing and Vivaldi.
 
   The sauce on the fettuccine was delicious. The pizza was a bit overrated but was soon gone. We were still chatting about all manner of things at around 10 p.m., but our eyes were getting heavy and we both agreed that it was time to call it a day and head back to the hotel. 

   We talked comfortably for an hour while sipping beers at the lobby. It was amazing. This woman was hilarious and easy to talk to. Then for a long, jittery minute, we stared at each other in silence and then Kim stood up and wished me a good night's rest.
 
   I examined her until we reached the head of the steps. Then I watched her disappear in the darkness of the hallway, and heard the latch of her door slide into place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai artist paints on mosquito nets

I find them quite intriguing, these ghostly portraits that Uttaporn Nimmalaikaew paints on mosquito nets. His creations look like a hologram, changing form depending on where the viewer stands. Overall, they're gloomy, haunting, and endlessly fascinating. I could stare at them for ages. [h/t: Colossal ]

Experiencing Flight Through an Eagle's Eyes

Have you ever looked up and wondered, "What does it feel like to soar majestically like an eagle?" This video offers a captivating glimpse. Expert bird handler Lloyd Buck attached a small 360-degree camera and a GPS tracker directly to the back of one of these magnificent predatory birds. The entire setup creates a stunning, first-person virtual reality experience—only this one is real and features a creature with an impressively large wingspan. However, this isn't just for cool footage. The real mission is to capture valuable scientific data: examining how quickly an eagle can gain altitude and precisely how its incredible wings are adapted to achieve such breathtaking, effortless lift.

The Adorable Sculptures of Yen Yen Lo

These images are from a series of wall sculptures created by Yen Yen Lo . Here you can see her intricately textured ceramic pieces, looking downright adorable. Yen Yen Lo's eye for the unique and whimsical is delightful. Apparently they are not intended for kids under 16. Fifteen-year-olds cannot be trusted with fragile stuff. Get them a Funko Pop instead.