Skip to main content

I normally hate suits but I'll make an exception for this one



Some people like the feel of satin against their skin. Some want to wrap themselves in wool. But how about wearing clothes made from bagels? Food and fashion enthusiasts will be intrigued by this bizarrely awesome, mouth-watering 'Bagel Suit' by self-proclaimed food-fashionista Ishara Jayakody. 

From Bon Appétit:

The bagel suit took about 100 hours to make, and the wearable version—a vest—took her between 60 and 70 hours. It’s always a long process of experimentation and trial and error, according to Jayakody. "I"ll spray [the food] with different things, leave it out in the sun, put it in the fridge, dissolve it, and so on, until I find something that works," she said. She also goes method on these projects: "When I'm making a bagel dress, all I'm eating is bagels." The process is all-consuming, and between designing and her full-time job, Jayakody doesn't sleep much.

The 'Bagel Suit' is not Ishara's first time exploring the intersection of food and fashion. The 27-year-old artist has also created clothing out of pasta, candy, lettuces, and even eggshells.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Women of the Future,' according to vintage trading cards

Firefighter In 1902, French artist Albert Bergeret printed this set of trading cards depicting women and their futuristic occupations as firefighters, politicians, soldiers, lawyers, and journalists. Titled Women of the Future , these collectibles were released primarily for the boys, that's why many of these outfits fall more on the side of post-Victorian pin-up calendar than professional attire. General Marine Journalist Artist [h/t: Dangerous Minds ]

Urs Fischer creates candle sculpture of Leonardo DiCaprio and his parents

Some sculptures are built from stone and are meant to be as permanent as possible. Others are made to be deliberately short-lived, like this monumental art piece by Urs Fisher . His latest wax figure, Leo (George & Irmelin) , depicts Leonardo DiCaprio with his parents. Presented at the Gagosian Gallery, Paris , the sculpture is composed of a double portrait of the Hollywood actor. One portrays him talking to his dad, who is standing separately, and the other—which is linked to the first like a conjoined twin—portrays him hugging his mom, both of them smiling. The Swiss artist began to create candle sculptures in the early 2000s. Last year, he made a larger-than-life-size wax figure depicting Russian art collector and founder of the Garage Museum of Contemporary Art in Moscow, Dasha Zhukova. As with all of Fischer's candle sculptures, Leo (George & Irmelin) will melt slowly over the course of the exhibition, a poetic and visual reminder of the mortality we all mus...

Thai artist paints on mosquito nets

I find them quite intriguing, these ghostly portraits that Uttaporn Nimmalaikaew paints on mosquito nets. His creations look like a hologram, changing form depending on where the viewer stands. Overall, they're gloomy, haunting, and endlessly fascinating. I could stare at them for ages. [h/t: Colossal ]