Skip to main content

Have you ever wondered what your dreams mean?

For two weeks I dreamed of churches. This was in 1999, and I was in a particularly angsty phase of my college life. Some of them were really hazy but many times they were very vivid, and they had kept me mystified for years.

   I saw the Baeza Cathedral in Spain in warm morning light. Above it was the most magnificent blue sky I have ever seen, and, around me were three pretty Andalusian girls playing hopscotch. One looked liked Wynona Ryder when she was very young. I can't remember what the other two looked like but they were all wearing floral sundresses. I also saw the wooden churches of Poland, all with enchanting interiors with vibrant paintings on the walls and ceilings. But there was one church that I dreamed about most: the Cologne Cathedral, which is considered as one of Germany's most famous landmarks.

   In one of those dreams the sky was splashed with a symphony of red, blue, and purple as the sun set over the clouds floating just above the enormous structure. It was autumn, and the leaves had turned brown. Then, I saw an old lady who appeared to be ill, holding a wooden jar filled with fish. I don't know if my visions were formed out of my fascination with the history of the Catholic Church or my voracious appetite for travel documentaries, but I was baffled by the fact that those church dreams (and a couple of nightmares) continued for thirteen days.

   Were those dreams symbolic or reflective of anything? Why do we dream? What is the function of dreaming? Here's an interesting video I've stumbled upon while searching for answers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enigmatic Shapes and Psychedelic Patterns

To say that I love Sanagi 's work is an understatement. Looking at her art feels sort of therapeutic, and I find her drawings refreshingly intricate. They're trippy, psychedelic, and resemble something that you might see under a microscope. Not much is Googleable about Sanagi, but that's fine. There aren't many artists these days that still pull off the whole mysterious vibe, so I commend her for that. By the way... they're all hand-drawn with pen and ink.

The Adorable Sculptures of Yen Yen Lo

These images are from a series of wall sculptures created by Yen Yen Lo . Here you can see her intricately textured ceramic pieces, looking downright adorable. Yen Yen Lo's eye for the unique and whimsical is delightful. Apparently they are not intended for kids under 16. Fifteen-year-olds cannot be trusted with fragile stuff. Get them a Funko Pop instead.

James DeRosso's ceramic monsters

I really like these whimsical ceramic creatures by James DeRosso. Yes, they have bulging eyes and toothy grins, but they're not scary at all. The Portland-based artist started making cute monsters while he was a student to jokingly create gargoyle-like guardians for the kiln. After other students kept taking his quirky little figures, he realized there was a market for them. "I'm enjoying the whole monster making niche," James says. "It's amazingly gratifying to be doing ceramics full time and especially to be a teacher introducing kids to the joy of clay." Be sure to visit his website and like his Facebook page for the latest monster news.