Skip to main content

Writing While Stoned

Some people find writing under the influence a breeze. Robert Louis Stevenson wrote the Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde during a six day, six night cocaine binge. Ken Kesey penned One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest while he was on LSD. British novelist Lee Child, author of Killing Floor and 61 Hours, admits he writes while high on cannabis.

   While it's true that using psychoactive substances can help bring your creative endeavors to life, it can also make you think something's a great idea, when in reality, it's just a random, nonsensical shit. In 2004, while on vacation in Boracay, I tried to write inside my hotel room after partaking in some dope festivity: five bong hits, two bottles of light beer and lots of pizza. This was the result:

I'm here at the beach, a mere mortal in boardshorts and sandals, breathing some fresh air while walking on a hot summer evening. You're inside your expensive hotel room, typing away on your laptop while listening to Kate Bush, or Mazzy Star, maybe Jeff Buckley. I am several meters below you, silently staring at happy faces with great grief.
Lucky girl, you nymphet of the southern isles, share your thoughts. Share your wisdom. Share your sorrows. My knees are weak. My back is aching. But I can't let the white whale win. My lips linger on the rim of the glass while some old guy screams. 
Fire breathers, jackasses and hookers everywhere. Neon lights blinking on and off. Welcome to hell. Welcome to paradise. Welcome to false epiphanies.
Calm waters take me now. I am going to wade in, for my final baptism.  
April 6, 2004

   Marijuana did not improve my motivation to write or my creativity because I wrote this awful piece of garbage for two hours while looking at some online porn. For me, weed is great for ideas and inspiration, but for a narrative to be composed I have to be sober.

   Do you write while you're high? I'm interested to read your comments regarding the matter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai artist paints on mosquito nets

I find them quite intriguing, these ghostly portraits that Uttaporn Nimmalaikaew paints on mosquito nets. His creations look like a hologram, changing form depending on where the viewer stands. Overall, they're gloomy, haunting, and endlessly fascinating. I could stare at them for ages. [h/t: Colossal ]

Experiencing Flight Through an Eagle's Eyes

Have you ever looked up and wondered, "What does it feel like to soar majestically like an eagle?" This video offers a captivating glimpse. Expert bird handler Lloyd Buck attached a small 360-degree camera and a GPS tracker directly to the back of one of these magnificent predatory birds. The entire setup creates a stunning, first-person virtual reality experience—only this one is real and features a creature with an impressively large wingspan. However, this isn't just for cool footage. The real mission is to capture valuable scientific data: examining how quickly an eagle can gain altitude and precisely how its incredible wings are adapted to achieve such breathtaking, effortless lift.

New Works by Hydeon

For years I thought I disliked Ian Ferguson's work, especially the early illustrations. But I became enamored by his art when I saw his more recent creations on Instagram . Also known as Hydeon, the Brooklyn-based visual artist is largely inspired by baroque, gothic, medieval and victorian era architectural movements, as well as Americana, street art, ancient myths, fairy tales, surrealism and graphic design. Hydeon's art ranges from small ink and graphite works to large painted installations, created with the use of cheap and found materials, such as ball point pens, pencils, wood panels and acrylic paint. He has worked with clients such as Bergdorf Goodman, Vans, RedBull, and more. In this video, Hydeon presents En Forme de Cône at Bim Bam gallery in Paris; a fusion between urban, medieval and folk art.