Skip to main content

Paintings and drawings by Juan Fernando Escobar

I love flickr as much as I love Swedish massage. It is so easy to discover so many beautiful photographs, inspiring videos, and stunning pieces of art. Colombian visual artist Juan Fernando Escobar has an impressive collection of paintings and drawings on his flickr page, and I'm quite ashamed to say I only discovered his work recently.

According to his profile, Escobar's work "explores the possibilities of painting and drawing as a media to build images that allows references identification of art history and the evocation of situations around them. This way it gives rise to a series of signaling that review the events of the aesthetic experience and blurs the boundaries between art and artistic mediation."

Below are some of my favorites.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai artist paints on mosquito nets

I find them quite intriguing, these ghostly portraits that Uttaporn Nimmalaikaew paints on mosquito nets. His creations look like a hologram, changing form depending on where the viewer stands. Overall, they're gloomy, haunting, and endlessly fascinating. I could stare at them for ages. [h/t: Colossal ]

'Women of the Future,' according to vintage trading cards

Firefighter In 1902, French artist Albert Bergeret printed this set of trading cards depicting women and their futuristic occupations as firefighters, politicians, soldiers, lawyers, and journalists. Titled Women of the Future , these collectibles were released primarily for the boys, that's why many of these outfits fall more on the side of post-Victorian pin-up calendar than professional attire. General Marine Journalist Artist [h/t: Dangerous Minds ]

When Mickey Went Gothic

In the 1930s, Universal's hits like Dracula and Frankenstein had everyone buzzing, and Walt Disney wanted a piece of that spooky action for his biggest star. The result was The Mad Doctor —a frantic, gothic horror show where Mickey Mouse has to brave a booby-trapped castle full of dancing, self-assembling skeletons to rescue his snatched dog, Pluto. It was the first time audiences saw a truly terrified Mickey. Not only did some theaters refuse to screen the short film, but the British Board of Film Censors (BBFC) outright banned it, deeming it "too gruesome" for kids.