Skip to main content

This is how you sell classic novels to a new generation


Not feeling drawn to that classic novel with a minimalist design on the cover? Well, the eye-catching book covers from Pulp! The Classics just might grab your attention. I saw copies of The Great Gatsby, The Picture of Dorian Gray and Wuthering Heights in a bookstore a few days ago and I just had to pick up the paperbacks for a closer look.

In a competitive book market, Pulp! The Classics is a great idea. They take some of the most famous works of literature and redesign the covers so that they look like vintage pulp novels – complete with clever strap lines, cheap-looking colored edges and fake scruff marks. Some of them even feature faces of movie stars.

The cover of their Tess of the D'Urbervilles gives us a barmaid-ish Marilyn Monroe. There's also a Colin Firth version of Mr. Darcy (Pride and Prejudice) with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth and the tagline, "Lock up your daughters…Darcy's in town!" How about a glaring, ruffed-up Mr. T as Othello? Or Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor as Romeo & Juliet?

Check out Pulp! The Classics' website for more. I really like the hippie Alice. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai artist paints on mosquito nets

I find them quite intriguing, these ghostly portraits that Uttaporn Nimmalaikaew paints on mosquito nets. His creations look like a hologram, changing form depending on where the viewer stands. Overall, they're gloomy, haunting, and endlessly fascinating. I could stare at them for ages. [h/t: Colossal ]

Experiencing Flight Through an Eagle's Eyes

Have you ever looked up and wondered, "What does it feel like to soar majestically like an eagle?" This video offers a captivating glimpse. Expert bird handler Lloyd Buck attached a small 360-degree camera and a GPS tracker directly to the back of one of these magnificent predatory birds. The entire setup creates a stunning, first-person virtual reality experience—only this one is real and features a creature with an impressively large wingspan. However, this isn't just for cool footage. The real mission is to capture valuable scientific data: examining how quickly an eagle can gain altitude and precisely how its incredible wings are adapted to achieve such breathtaking, effortless lift.

New Works by Hydeon

For years I thought I disliked Ian Ferguson's work, especially the early illustrations. But I became enamored by his art when I saw his more recent creations on Instagram . Also known as Hydeon, the Brooklyn-based visual artist is largely inspired by baroque, gothic, medieval and victorian era architectural movements, as well as Americana, street art, ancient myths, fairy tales, surrealism and graphic design. Hydeon's art ranges from small ink and graphite works to large painted installations, created with the use of cheap and found materials, such as ball point pens, pencils, wood panels and acrylic paint. He has worked with clients such as Bergdorf Goodman, Vans, RedBull, and more. In this video, Hydeon presents En Forme de Cône at Bim Bam gallery in Paris; a fusion between urban, medieval and folk art.