Skip to main content

This cartoon summarizes the inspiring life of Frida Kahlo

This comic by Philadelphia-based comedy writer and cartoonist Sissy Biscuit serves as an ode to Frida Kahlo's storied life. Like the famed Mexican painter, Biscuit also had a near death experience when she was a teenager. She told The Huffington Post that Lyme disease left her bedridden for several months when she was just 14. During that time, the aspiring artist found solace in art history books and immediately fell in love with the work of Kahlo.

"To say I fell in love with her would be an understatement," she said. "She was so bold and honest about her situation." For more from Sissy Biscuit, be sure to check out her blog.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai artist paints on mosquito nets

I find them quite intriguing, these ghostly portraits that Uttaporn Nimmalaikaew paints on mosquito nets. His creations look like a hologram, changing form depending on where the viewer stands. Overall, they're gloomy, haunting, and endlessly fascinating. I could stare at them for ages. [h/t: Colossal ]

Experiencing Flight Through an Eagle's Eyes

Have you ever looked up and wondered, "What does it feel like to soar majestically like an eagle?" This video offers a captivating glimpse. Expert bird handler Lloyd Buck attached a small 360-degree camera and a GPS tracker directly to the back of one of these magnificent predatory birds. The entire setup creates a stunning, first-person virtual reality experience—only this one is real and features a creature with an impressively large wingspan. However, this isn't just for cool footage. The real mission is to capture valuable scientific data: examining how quickly an eagle can gain altitude and precisely how its incredible wings are adapted to achieve such breathtaking, effortless lift.

New Works by Hydeon

For years I thought I disliked Ian Ferguson's work, especially the early illustrations. But I became enamored by his art when I saw his more recent creations on Instagram . Also known as Hydeon, the Brooklyn-based visual artist is largely inspired by baroque, gothic, medieval and victorian era architectural movements, as well as Americana, street art, ancient myths, fairy tales, surrealism and graphic design. Hydeon's art ranges from small ink and graphite works to large painted installations, created with the use of cheap and found materials, such as ball point pens, pencils, wood panels and acrylic paint. He has worked with clients such as Bergdorf Goodman, Vans, RedBull, and more. In this video, Hydeon presents En Forme de Cône at Bim Bam gallery in Paris; a fusion between urban, medieval and folk art.