Skip to main content

Unconventional Portraits by Red


Hong Yi is one of my favorite artists to have discovered this year. The talented Malaysian hottie, who often goes by the nickname Red, likes to paint... but not with a paintbrush. Instead, she uses everyday objects like socks, sunflower seeds, melted candles, coffee cups, and chopsticks to create stunning pictures.

Who wouldn't be amazed by the portrait of Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg that Red created out of 36 books by carefully slicing off the sides of the pages, or the rather unusual image of famed Chinese filmmaker Zhang Yimou made of 750 pair of socks?

Red could do almost anything with her hands but the most remarkable work she did was with food. Among her most impressive pieces was a coffee cup stain portrait of Italian singer Lucio Dalla. "Patience has developed overtime," she said. "I studied architecture for six years, and it trained me to work very hard until late at night. There was a certain discipline in my life during my university years. If I didn't go through that, I think I wouldn't be as patient as I am now."







Follow Red on Instagram and see more of her work here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai artist paints on mosquito nets

I find them quite intriguing, these ghostly portraits that Uttaporn Nimmalaikaew paints on mosquito nets. His creations look like a hologram, changing form depending on where the viewer stands. Overall, they're gloomy, haunting, and endlessly fascinating. I could stare at them for ages. [h/t: Colossal ]

Experiencing Flight Through an Eagle's Eyes

Have you ever looked up and wondered, "What does it feel like to soar majestically like an eagle?" This video offers a captivating glimpse. Expert bird handler Lloyd Buck attached a small 360-degree camera and a GPS tracker directly to the back of one of these magnificent predatory birds. The entire setup creates a stunning, first-person virtual reality experience—only this one is real and features a creature with an impressively large wingspan. However, this isn't just for cool footage. The real mission is to capture valuable scientific data: examining how quickly an eagle can gain altitude and precisely how its incredible wings are adapted to achieve such breathtaking, effortless lift.

New Works by Hydeon

For years I thought I disliked Ian Ferguson's work, especially the early illustrations. But I became enamored by his art when I saw his more recent creations on Instagram . Also known as Hydeon, the Brooklyn-based visual artist is largely inspired by baroque, gothic, medieval and victorian era architectural movements, as well as Americana, street art, ancient myths, fairy tales, surrealism and graphic design. Hydeon's art ranges from small ink and graphite works to large painted installations, created with the use of cheap and found materials, such as ball point pens, pencils, wood panels and acrylic paint. He has worked with clients such as Bergdorf Goodman, Vans, RedBull, and more. In this video, Hydeon presents En Forme de Cône at Bim Bam gallery in Paris; a fusion between urban, medieval and folk art.