Skip to main content

Larger-than-life sculptures created with used cardboard boxes


I'm always on the hunt for awesome artwork and artists on Instagram, and believe me, Laurence Vallières (laurenceval) is worth the follow. While the Montreal-based artist isn't the first person to create art with recycled cardboard, she might just be the coolest name in the niche. 

Laurence scours the streets for used cardboard boxes to make large-scale sculptures of animals. Inspired by the works of Art Spiegelman, George Orwell and William Kentridge, she sometimes utilizes the printed surface of the packaging materials in order to depict the animal imagery. "My work is about human relationships, communication and political issues," she says. "The activity of drawing is the basis of all my work. It all starts with a sketch. I like to join my sculptures to my drawings by creating a relationship between them so they communicate and challenge each other."





Visit Laurence's website to view more of her amazing cardboard creatures.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai artist paints on mosquito nets

I find them quite intriguing, these ghostly portraits that Uttaporn Nimmalaikaew paints on mosquito nets. His creations look like a hologram, changing form depending on where the viewer stands. Overall, they're gloomy, haunting, and endlessly fascinating. I could stare at them for ages. [h/t: Colossal ]

Experiencing Flight Through an Eagle's Eyes

Have you ever looked up and wondered, "What does it feel like to soar majestically like an eagle?" This video offers a captivating glimpse. Expert bird handler Lloyd Buck attached a small 360-degree camera and a GPS tracker directly to the back of one of these magnificent predatory birds. The entire setup creates a stunning, first-person virtual reality experience—only this one is real and features a creature with an impressively large wingspan. However, this isn't just for cool footage. The real mission is to capture valuable scientific data: examining how quickly an eagle can gain altitude and precisely how its incredible wings are adapted to achieve such breathtaking, effortless lift.

New Works by Hydeon

For years I thought I disliked Ian Ferguson's work, especially the early illustrations. But I became enamored by his art when I saw his more recent creations on Instagram . Also known as Hydeon, the Brooklyn-based visual artist is largely inspired by baroque, gothic, medieval and victorian era architectural movements, as well as Americana, street art, ancient myths, fairy tales, surrealism and graphic design. Hydeon's art ranges from small ink and graphite works to large painted installations, created with the use of cheap and found materials, such as ball point pens, pencils, wood panels and acrylic paint. He has worked with clients such as Bergdorf Goodman, Vans, RedBull, and more. In this video, Hydeon presents En Forme de Cône at Bim Bam gallery in Paris; a fusion between urban, medieval and folk art.