Skip to main content

Mike Stilkey's painted book sculptures


I've been a fan of Mike Stilkey for quite a while now. I first came across his work in 2013 when he came here, to the Philippines, to install his 24-foot-high book sculpture in Fully Booked, Bonifacio High Street. 

Mike is a Los Angeles-based painter, illustrator and sculptor who creates fabulous animal and human characters directly on stacks of books. He heads to local libraries to find books that are about to be thrown out, then he stacks them on top of one another and uses them as canvas for his vibrant paintings. The artist's melancholic and at times a whimsical scenes and portraits are created in his signature style, and he forms them using a mix of ink, colored pencil, paint, and lacquer.

A lover of books himself, Mike quit his job as a picture framer and sold his car to get money so he could become a full-time artist. In an interview with the LA Times, he said: "The books are dying. There are so many that go to the garbage. It's crazy. If I can paint on them, I'm giving them a second chance." 







In the video, embedded below, Mike discusses his childhood, skateboarding, graffiti, and his path to becoming the artist that he is today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai artist paints on mosquito nets

I find them quite intriguing, these ghostly portraits that Uttaporn Nimmalaikaew paints on mosquito nets. His creations look like a hologram, changing form depending on where the viewer stands. Overall, they're gloomy, haunting, and endlessly fascinating. I could stare at them for ages. [h/t: Colossal ]

Experiencing Flight Through an Eagle's Eyes

Have you ever looked up and wondered, "What does it feel like to soar majestically like an eagle?" This video offers a captivating glimpse. Expert bird handler Lloyd Buck attached a small 360-degree camera and a GPS tracker directly to the back of one of these magnificent predatory birds. The entire setup creates a stunning, first-person virtual reality experience—only this one is real and features a creature with an impressively large wingspan. However, this isn't just for cool footage. The real mission is to capture valuable scientific data: examining how quickly an eagle can gain altitude and precisely how its incredible wings are adapted to achieve such breathtaking, effortless lift.

New Works by Hydeon

For years I thought I disliked Ian Ferguson's work, especially the early illustrations. But I became enamored by his art when I saw his more recent creations on Instagram . Also known as Hydeon, the Brooklyn-based visual artist is largely inspired by baroque, gothic, medieval and victorian era architectural movements, as well as Americana, street art, ancient myths, fairy tales, surrealism and graphic design. Hydeon's art ranges from small ink and graphite works to large painted installations, created with the use of cheap and found materials, such as ball point pens, pencils, wood panels and acrylic paint. He has worked with clients such as Bergdorf Goodman, Vans, RedBull, and more. In this video, Hydeon presents En Forme de Cône at Bim Bam gallery in Paris; a fusion between urban, medieval and folk art.