Skip to main content

With this organic urn, you can become a tree when you die


There's an increasing trend of people choosing cremation over burial as a funeral rite. Why? Because in most cases, cremations are cheaper, and they offer some flexibility for the family in terms of memorial service. Some people wish their ashes to be scattered, while others choose to keep their remains in an urn or in special jewelry. I don't know about you guys, but when I die I want to be immortalized as a tree.

This is possible with Bios Urn, a biodegradable vessel made from coconut shell, compacted peat and cellulose that turns ashes into a beautiful tree. Designed and created by Barcelona-based Gerard Moline and Martin Azua, the urn comes with either pine, gingko, maple, oak, ash or beech tree seeds, but just about any type of seed or seedling can be used.

The ashes are stored in the lower part of the container and the upper section holds soil. Eventually, both the urn and ashes become part of the subsoil. In case you didn't know ashes, including those from cremated remains, are a good sources of phosphorus for plants.

Now that's the tree of life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai artist paints on mosquito nets

I find them quite intriguing, these ghostly portraits that Uttaporn Nimmalaikaew paints on mosquito nets. His creations look like a hologram, changing form depending on where the viewer stands. Overall, they're gloomy, haunting, and endlessly fascinating. I could stare at them for ages. [h/t: Colossal ]

Experiencing Flight Through an Eagle's Eyes

Have you ever looked up and wondered, "What does it feel like to soar majestically like an eagle?" This video offers a captivating glimpse. Expert bird handler Lloyd Buck attached a small 360-degree camera and a GPS tracker directly to the back of one of these magnificent predatory birds. The entire setup creates a stunning, first-person virtual reality experience—only this one is real and features a creature with an impressively large wingspan. However, this isn't just for cool footage. The real mission is to capture valuable scientific data: examining how quickly an eagle can gain altitude and precisely how its incredible wings are adapted to achieve such breathtaking, effortless lift.

New Works by Hydeon

For years I thought I disliked Ian Ferguson's work, especially the early illustrations. But I became enamored by his art when I saw his more recent creations on Instagram . Also known as Hydeon, the Brooklyn-based visual artist is largely inspired by baroque, gothic, medieval and victorian era architectural movements, as well as Americana, street art, ancient myths, fairy tales, surrealism and graphic design. Hydeon's art ranges from small ink and graphite works to large painted installations, created with the use of cheap and found materials, such as ball point pens, pencils, wood panels and acrylic paint. He has worked with clients such as Bergdorf Goodman, Vans, RedBull, and more. In this video, Hydeon presents En Forme de Cône at Bim Bam gallery in Paris; a fusion between urban, medieval and folk art.