Skip to main content

Call Him Mr. Mandolin. Or Rick. Or Something...

I had several good professors during my years at the Lyceum but the one I think of most often was my mandolin-playing humanities instructor, who claimed to be an ex-Marine. He was forty-two, a widower with no kids and in the midst of a serious hunt for a spouse. He said he was from Zamboanga. His chosen drink was Tequila.

   The professor was friendly, meticulous, and above all, he made the subject more interesting. He was extremely clear on all explanations and always gave his students the chance for advanced creative and scholarly work and recognition.

   On the afternoon of September 7, 1998, a shot rang out somewhere around the university. I was sitting in the library pretending to be reading Homage to Catalonia when I heard the gunfire. Chaos. Panic. Confusion. The shooter was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound at the cafeteria. It was the professor.

   I met Mr. Pineda about 16 years ago while I was attending summer school. You know, there’s no better place to be in the summertime than on a college campus. Girls in shorts, students in sundresses, afterschool get-togethers, and late-night parties.

   Female students adored him. He was handsome and charismatic. And there was something rugged and raw about him that attracted naive college girls. He was seen hanging out with some pretty coeds but no one had ever caught his attention the way Crystal did.

   Crystal was hot. I mean totally knockout gorgeous. She had long black hair, big round eyes, nice legs, curvy hips, and beestung lips. Her breasts were proportional to her overall figure. Her scent was intoxicating. She was also my lab partner in chemistry, and during one of our experiments I noticed the sadness in her eyes. "Look, I’m not one to meddle, but is there something I can do?" I told her. "No," she whispered. "But thank you."

   The rumors sparked when the professor and Crystal were seen being sweet with each other, talking, dancing, and even hugging at a bar not far away from campus. Aside from their PDAs, I had no idea what was going on between the two of them. I can only speculate as to why Mr. Pineda ended up doing it. After the professor’s suicide, Crystal dropped out and disappeared to avoid humiliation. 

   My Alma Mater was a quiet place, filled with ordinary students with ordinary dreams and aspirations. Rallies were uncommon; fratwars, rare. There were occasional violence but none was as brutal as the professor's. Many years have passed but he still crosses my mind from time to time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai artist paints on mosquito nets

I find them quite intriguing, these ghostly portraits that Uttaporn Nimmalaikaew paints on mosquito nets. His creations look like a hologram, changing form depending on where the viewer stands. Overall, they're gloomy, haunting, and endlessly fascinating. I could stare at them for ages. [h/t: Colossal ]

'Women of the Future,' according to vintage trading cards

Firefighter In 1902, French artist Albert Bergeret printed this set of trading cards depicting women and their futuristic occupations as firefighters, politicians, soldiers, lawyers, and journalists. Titled Women of the Future , these collectibles were released primarily for the boys, that's why many of these outfits fall more on the side of post-Victorian pin-up calendar than professional attire. General Marine Journalist Artist [h/t: Dangerous Minds ]

Urs Fischer creates candle sculpture of Leonardo DiCaprio and his parents

Some sculptures are built from stone and are meant to be as permanent as possible. Others are made to be deliberately short-lived, like this monumental art piece by Urs Fisher . His latest wax figure, Leo (George & Irmelin) , depicts Leonardo DiCaprio with his parents. Presented at the Gagosian Gallery, Paris , the sculpture is composed of a double portrait of the Hollywood actor. One portrays him talking to his dad, who is standing separately, and the other—which is linked to the first like a conjoined twin—portrays him hugging his mom, both of them smiling. The Swiss artist began to create candle sculptures in the early 2000s. Last year, he made a larger-than-life-size wax figure depicting Russian art collector and founder of the Garage Museum of Contemporary Art in Moscow, Dasha Zhukova. As with all of Fischer's candle sculptures, Leo (George & Irmelin) will melt slowly over the course of the exhibition, a poetic and visual reminder of the mortality we all mus...