Skip to main content

Dude (Sounds Like a Lady)

Two years ago I received an email from my good friend, Lisa, with "You'll like these" as its subject, some photos of our trip to Cebu and Davao, and a link to Rhye's SoundCloud page. I saved the pictures and clicked on the link. Soon I was digging the exquisite mix of musical instruments, the ethereal ambience on each track, and the sensual vocals and dreamlike harmonies. I was surprised however, to discover that the lead singer of the mysterious duo was actually a man. While some guys can do a high-pitched falsetto it could have your ears quite confused, Rhye's Mike Milosh possesses a natural alto, and his smooth voice has drawn a number of comparisons to Sade and Tracey Thorn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai artist paints on mosquito nets

I find them quite intriguing, these ghostly portraits that Uttaporn Nimmalaikaew paints on mosquito nets. His creations look like a hologram, changing form depending on where the viewer stands. Overall, they're gloomy, haunting, and endlessly fascinating. I could stare at them for ages. [h/t: Colossal ]

'Women of the Future,' according to vintage trading cards

Firefighter In 1902, French artist Albert Bergeret printed this set of trading cards depicting women and their futuristic occupations as firefighters, politicians, soldiers, lawyers, and journalists. Titled Women of the Future , these collectibles were released primarily for the boys, that's why many of these outfits fall more on the side of post-Victorian pin-up calendar than professional attire. General Marine Journalist Artist [h/t: Dangerous Minds ]

When Mickey Went Gothic

In the 1930s, Universal's hits like Dracula and Frankenstein had everyone buzzing, and Walt Disney wanted a piece of that spooky action for his biggest star. The result was The Mad Doctor —a frantic, gothic horror show where Mickey Mouse has to brave a booby-trapped castle full of dancing, self-assembling skeletons to rescue his snatched dog, Pluto. It was the first time audiences saw a truly terrified Mickey. Not only did some theaters refuse to screen the short film, but the British Board of Film Censors (BBFC) outright banned it, deeming it "too gruesome" for kids.