Skip to main content

A musical about Burning Man should not exist

I love musicals. But a musical about Burning Man? I don't think so. My problem with Burning Man: The Musical is that the songs are badly-written. Admittedly, I watched the first video because I was curious and I expected it to be awful. It tells the story of Joe, a young techie who hopes to become a multimillionaire. I don't know much about him, but he hangs out with Silicon Valley elites, eats psychedelic shrooms, prays to Steve Jobs and dresses like one of the characters from Mad Max.

The first video is up on YouTube, but producer Matthew Werner and his crew are still trying to raise $20,000 to produce two more songs from the musical and eventually a full-length spectacle. Here's the best part: For a $5,000 Indiegogo donation you can get your own speaking or singing role in one of the clips. Good Lord!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai artist paints on mosquito nets

I find them quite intriguing, these ghostly portraits that Uttaporn Nimmalaikaew paints on mosquito nets. His creations look like a hologram, changing form depending on where the viewer stands. Overall, they're gloomy, haunting, and endlessly fascinating. I could stare at them for ages. [h/t: Colossal ]

Experiencing Flight Through an Eagle's Eyes

Have you ever looked up and wondered, "What does it feel like to soar majestically like an eagle?" This video offers a captivating glimpse. Expert bird handler Lloyd Buck attached a small 360-degree camera and a GPS tracker directly to the back of one of these magnificent predatory birds. The entire setup creates a stunning, first-person virtual reality experience—only this one is real and features a creature with an impressively large wingspan. However, this isn't just for cool footage. The real mission is to capture valuable scientific data: examining how quickly an eagle can gain altitude and precisely how its incredible wings are adapted to achieve such breathtaking, effortless lift.

Drawn, layered and torn

Tin-aw Art Gallery led me to Lui Gonzales . This UP graduate creates stunning works of art by drawing, layering and eventually tearing them. The result is a riotous, visual feast. Her work is a reminder that before you can experiment, you have to have the skills. And, before you can be a rebel, you have to understand what you're tearing apart. No pun intended. Lui starts by drawing on tracing paper after deciding how many layers of illustrations would be included in the piece. The average is five. But she once made a 32-layer work that took a year to finish. Then, after layering one over the other, she rips the paper from top to bottom. Lui was one of the delegates who represented the Philippines at the 2010 ASEAN Youth Camp for Visual Arts in Vietnam. She had her first solo exhibition in 2018 at Eskinita Gallery titled Colorless Confetti , followed by a group show,  Simulcra , in Singapore last February. If you happen to be in Metro Manila, I suggest y...