Skip to main content

'Kids' turns 20

I can't believe Kids is 20 years old. The first time I saw it my brain was divided between "What the f*ck is going on?" and "I prefer having sex with older women." I was in high school and after borrowing a VHS copy of the movie from a friend, I went straight to my room and started watching the flick. I didn't like it, but it left quite an impression on me.

Kids portrayed the gritty lifestyles of NYC teenagers during the height of the AIDS epidemic in the mid-1990s and was the source of widespread controversy due to its explicit portrayal of underage substance abuse and sex. Embedded below is an illegal copy of the movie. See if you can get through the whole thing before it gets taken down.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai artist paints on mosquito nets

I find them quite intriguing, these ghostly portraits that Uttaporn Nimmalaikaew paints on mosquito nets. His creations look like a hologram, changing form depending on where the viewer stands. Overall, they're gloomy, haunting, and endlessly fascinating. I could stare at them for ages. [h/t: Colossal ]

'Women of the Future,' according to vintage trading cards

Firefighter In 1902, French artist Albert Bergeret printed this set of trading cards depicting women and their futuristic occupations as firefighters, politicians, soldiers, lawyers, and journalists. Titled Women of the Future , these collectibles were released primarily for the boys, that's why many of these outfits fall more on the side of post-Victorian pin-up calendar than professional attire. General Marine Journalist Artist [h/t: Dangerous Minds ]

When Mickey Went Gothic

In the 1930s, Universal's hits like Dracula and Frankenstein had everyone buzzing, and Walt Disney wanted a piece of that spooky action for his biggest star. The result was The Mad Doctor —a frantic, gothic horror show where Mickey Mouse has to brave a booby-trapped castle full of dancing, self-assembling skeletons to rescue his snatched dog, Pluto. It was the first time audiences saw a truly terrified Mickey. Not only did some theaters refuse to screen the short film, but the British Board of Film Censors (BBFC) outright banned it, deeming it "too gruesome" for kids.