Skip to main content

Woojung Son's surreal art


I call it a good day when I learn about one new female artist who bares her soul on every canvas with brutal honesty. One perfect example is South Korea's Woojung Son. Her online portfolio is filled with colorful paintings and digital illustrations inspired by her dreams and imagination. As a little girl, Woojung was drawn to art as a way to retreat into her own little world. Now, she wants to create stories, communicate with people, and build her own kingdom through her masterpieces. 

Perhaps because she's still quite young, Woojung is refreshingly devoid of pretentiousness when explaining her work. "Imagine. Have a dream. Be free," she says of her process. "I've always liked to paint, and I've made my own imaginary space through my work. In my imaginary place, there was no concept of time or space, and everything was free."

Woojung usually listens to Alexandre Desplat and loves reading Werber, Tolkien, and Rowling. The DanKook University graduate was a finalist in 'The Painted World' Saatchi Art Showdown Competition in 2015, and she had her first solo exhibition at Artspaceknot in Seoul in 2014. She has exhibited extensively, including in the Seoul Open Art Fair, Kidari Gallery, and Ilho Gallery.






[h/t: Saatchi Art]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai artist paints on mosquito nets

I find them quite intriguing, these ghostly portraits that Uttaporn Nimmalaikaew paints on mosquito nets. His creations look like a hologram, changing form depending on where the viewer stands. Overall, they're gloomy, haunting, and endlessly fascinating. I could stare at them for ages. [h/t: Colossal ]

Experiencing Flight Through an Eagle's Eyes

Have you ever looked up and wondered, "What does it feel like to soar majestically like an eagle?" This video offers a captivating glimpse. Expert bird handler Lloyd Buck attached a small 360-degree camera and a GPS tracker directly to the back of one of these magnificent predatory birds. The entire setup creates a stunning, first-person virtual reality experience—only this one is real and features a creature with an impressively large wingspan. However, this isn't just for cool footage. The real mission is to capture valuable scientific data: examining how quickly an eagle can gain altitude and precisely how its incredible wings are adapted to achieve such breathtaking, effortless lift.

New Works by Hydeon

For years I thought I disliked Ian Ferguson's work, especially the early illustrations. But I became enamored by his art when I saw his more recent creations on Instagram . Also known as Hydeon, the Brooklyn-based visual artist is largely inspired by baroque, gothic, medieval and victorian era architectural movements, as well as Americana, street art, ancient myths, fairy tales, surrealism and graphic design. Hydeon's art ranges from small ink and graphite works to large painted installations, created with the use of cheap and found materials, such as ball point pens, pencils, wood panels and acrylic paint. He has worked with clients such as Bergdorf Goodman, Vans, RedBull, and more. In this video, Hydeon presents En Forme de Cône at Bim Bam gallery in Paris; a fusion between urban, medieval and folk art.