Skip to main content

This is how wind turbines should look like.


Melbourne-based artist David Booth (aka Ghostpatrol) is a machine of creativity. Paintings, installation, sculpture, illustration, huge outdoor pieces, he does everything. He doesn't have any formal art training, but his creations appeal to a wide range of ages and tastes. I want to feature all of them, but today I'll focus on his work at Australia's first community-owned wind farm, Hepburn Wind, near Daylesford in Victoria.

About two years ago, David spent a week maneuvering a crane in a paddock in Leonards Hill. With a small team, the Tasmanian-born artist painted a huge image of a girl dressed in green on one of the two wind turbines. Late last year, David and friends returned to paint the other one. The project was crowdfunded by 82 supporters and received a huge amount of in-kind support from the artists and dozens of local businesses.

"I think that painting Gale and Gusto [the names of the two wind turbines] will be one of the things I am most proud of, for a long time to come. I accepted Hepburn Wind's challenge without a second thought, though no one has ever painted a turbine before – it's not easy! Pitching our tents below the blades and giving a face to such an amazing community project is an incredibly humbling experience, and a wonderful thing to give as an artist to a community.

I was so inspired by the community of Daylesford, who welcomed us and showed us the strength of passion required to make a difference in the world and confront the serious issues of energy and our responsibility to the environment. I don't love being in a scissor lift four storeys up, shaking in the wind – but I'd do it again in a heartbeat."






David should paint the turbines of the Bangui Wind Farm, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adorable Sculptures of Yen Yen Lo

These images are from a series of wall sculptures created by Yen Yen Lo . Here you can see her intricately textured ceramic pieces, looking downright adorable. Yen Yen Lo's eye for the unique and whimsical is delightful. Apparently they are not intended for kids under 16. Fifteen-year-olds cannot be trusted with fragile stuff. Get them a Funko Pop instead.

Enigmatic Shapes and Psychedelic Patterns

To say that I love Sanagi 's work is an understatement. Looking at her art feels sort of therapeutic, and I find her drawings refreshingly intricate. They're trippy, psychedelic, and resemble something that you might see under a microscope. Not much is Googleable about Sanagi, but that's fine. There aren't many artists these days that still pull off the whole mysterious vibe, so I commend her for that. By the way... they're all hand-drawn with pen and ink.

Weirdly Charming

If you’re a fan of art that makes you do a double-take, you need to check out  Richard Brener . Based in the UK, Richard is an internationally collected artist who works primarily with ink, fineliners, and gouache. When you first see his pieces, they actually look pretty playful. Then you realize the entire canvas is packed with thousands of tiny, ghost-like shapes he calls "champs." They’re all squeezed together like commuters on a rush-hour train, and the level of detail is honestly mind-blowing. Richard spends hundreds of hours drawing these little guys over and over. It’s obsessive, very intentional, and a little bit wild. The cool part is that the longer you stare, the more the vibe shifts. Check out more photos below: