Skip to main content

Soothing abstract paintings by Jewelle Yeung


Jewelle Yeung creates some beautiful, soothing paintings. Her vivid strokes and soft blends invite the viewer to transition between reality and the dream. They're vibrant and dynamic, but at the same time elegant and graceful. No wonder I'm finding calm today as I look through her website. 

Unlike other artists who work from a sketch, Jewelle paints directly on the canvas, using flat-faced paintbrushes and pallet knives to create her pictures. "I am fascinated by dreams and how our mind processes pieces of reality into our subconscious, mixing it up, and finding its way back to our conscious mind again," she said in an interview. "I like to bring these things out in my work."



Of Chinese and Filipino descent, Jewelle spent her formative years split between Hong Kong and the Philippines. After completing her under graduate in Fashion design and Technology at the University of the Arts, and obtaining a Masters Degree at the City and Guilds of London Art School for Fine Art, she spent the early part of her career working in London as a designer for Hussein Chalayan and Puma Black Label. Since then she has left the Fashion world to devote her time to painting.

Jewelle's solo exhibition, Biophilia: Our Connection To Nature, is currently on view at A Space Manila, Legazpi Street, Makati City. For more information, you can contact +63 2 846 0856.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai artist paints on mosquito nets

I find them quite intriguing, these ghostly portraits that Uttaporn Nimmalaikaew paints on mosquito nets. His creations look like a hologram, changing form depending on where the viewer stands. Overall, they're gloomy, haunting, and endlessly fascinating. I could stare at them for ages. [h/t: Colossal ]

Experiencing Flight Through an Eagle's Eyes

Have you ever looked up and wondered, "What does it feel like to soar majestically like an eagle?" This video offers a captivating glimpse. Expert bird handler Lloyd Buck attached a small 360-degree camera and a GPS tracker directly to the back of one of these magnificent predatory birds. The entire setup creates a stunning, first-person virtual reality experience—only this one is real and features a creature with an impressively large wingspan. However, this isn't just for cool footage. The real mission is to capture valuable scientific data: examining how quickly an eagle can gain altitude and precisely how its incredible wings are adapted to achieve such breathtaking, effortless lift.

New Works by Hydeon

For years I thought I disliked Ian Ferguson's work, especially the early illustrations. But I became enamored by his art when I saw his more recent creations on Instagram . Also known as Hydeon, the Brooklyn-based visual artist is largely inspired by baroque, gothic, medieval and victorian era architectural movements, as well as Americana, street art, ancient myths, fairy tales, surrealism and graphic design. Hydeon's art ranges from small ink and graphite works to large painted installations, created with the use of cheap and found materials, such as ball point pens, pencils, wood panels and acrylic paint. He has worked with clients such as Bergdorf Goodman, Vans, RedBull, and more. In this video, Hydeon presents En Forme de Cône at Bim Bam gallery in Paris; a fusion between urban, medieval and folk art.