When I was in college, there were times when I went to bookstores and thrift shops almost every month to buy a copy of her work. Those were years in which books were my world. It's been said many times before that literature is a form of escape, and Rice's anti-heroes certainly served that purpose for me back then.
Recently AMC announced it had purchased the rights to 18 Rice novels from the Vampire Chronicles and The Lives of the Mayfair Witches series, which will be adapted in whatever way the network deems the best fit.
Producers have been adapting literary works for the screen since the 1890s. The results vary widely. Film adaptations usually ruin the book, as the filmmakers take so many liberties, from small things, like the ages and appearances of the characters, to big things, like the plot. But sometimes a cinematic adaptation of a novel can also bring the words to life for those who struggle to visualize the words on the paper.
So, the question is, am I excited about this acquisition? Not really. It is best to view all matters pertaining to this news with extreme caution. Remember what happened years ago? When Violin was published, there was talk of a film, but no film was ever made. Servant of the Bones was optioned once for a TV series, but no series was created. Besides, my taste in film and literature has changed over the years, and I am no longer the person I was 23 years ago—at least I hope so.

Comments
Post a Comment