Skip to main content

On knockoff toys, bootleg action figures, and nostalgia

LEGO and Transformers action figures are some of the toys I really wanted as a kid, but never got.

Boy or girl, every child wanted a LEGO. My older cousin had a couple of LEGO sets, but didn't really let me play with them. So, I desperately asked my rich Japayuki ninang for one. Instead, she gave me a knockoff—like the ones sold at sari-sari stores near public elementary schools. Every year, I looked forward to birthdays and holidays with great anticipation, but I never got the real thing.

During the height of their popularity in the 80s, many people were convinced that their Autobots and Decepticons were actually smart investments, and that the shape-shifting alien robots would one day be worth thousands. More than 30 years after the original Transformers TV series first aired, its toy franchise remains one of the most popular in history. My mother gave me one when I was 7. Unfortunately, what I got was a funny counterfeit Starscream from Divisoria that looked like a malnourished Mecha Gigan.

The thing is that not all ripoffs are created equal. Some companies manufacture playthings that look almost identical to the original, whereas others, well, make toys that look hilariously bad. There are also artists who create bootlegs that can be considered collectibles. They're handmade, awesome, and born out of nostalgia.


Over the past 16 years, Morgan Phillips, aka Super Sucklord, has made a name for himself with his "subversive Action Figure mashups." From cracky Smurfs to pink Storm Troopers, Morgan's creations "have inspired an entire secondary Art movement."

I'm so tired of anything that has got to do with The Simpsons, but this had me cracking up.

Another artist who makes super cool stuff is Spencer Pollard. Under the name Dogman Toys, he sells handmade resin figures inspired by pop culture. Peter Goral's Skeletor and Darth Vader mashup called Phantom Starkiller is a certified classic in the world of bootleg playthings. The Cosmic Ghoul Warrior is fantastic looking, and "will unleash his inner darkness to carry out his master's wishes."


These artists have been accused of bad taste or having no talent, but many people look at their creations as pieces of art. For instance, the custom Star Wars AT-AT Super Sucklord made was sold through Christie's for more than a thousand bucks, and his work is exhibited at galleries worldwide.

Since the enhanced community quarantine, I have realized that toys are really important. They give parents a break to wash the clothes, and they keep children away from what they really want to play with—namely, sharp objects and disgusting things.

I have high respect for bootlegs, but what I really want are the things that were around when I was a kid.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mystical World of Akiya Kageichi

Sometimes I go to tumblr, type in a random word or phrase and see what catches my eye. When I found Akiya Kageichi's blog and it began to load, my eyes were dazzled by the expertly rendered illustrations. They're mystical, chaotic, ominous and deliciously so. Well, never mind what I have to say, the work speaks for itself.

James DeRosso's ceramic monsters

I really like these whimsical ceramic creatures by James DeRosso. Yes, they have bulging eyes and toothy grins, but they're not scary at all. The Portland-based artist started making cute monsters while he was a student to jokingly create gargoyle-like guardians for the kiln. After other students kept taking his quirky little figures, he realized there was a market for them. "I'm enjoying the whole monster making niche," James says. "It's amazingly gratifying to be doing ceramics full time and especially to be a teacher introducing kids to the joy of clay." Be sure to visit his website and like his Facebook page for the latest monster news.

Enigmatic Shapes and Psychedelic Patterns

To say that I love Sanagi 's work is an understatement. Looking at her art feels sort of therapeutic, and I find her drawings refreshingly intricate. They're trippy, psychedelic, and resemble something that you might see under a microscope. Not much is Googleable about Sanagi, but that's fine. There aren't many artists these days that still pull off the whole mysterious vibe, so I commend her for that. By the way... they're all hand-drawn with pen and ink.