Skip to main content

Knotted Half-Shirts and Bare Midriffs


I almost never watch the NFL. Once upon a time, I followed the Broncos, largely because my friends did…but other interests took over. Every now and then, I check out a few NFL clips on YouTube, not so much of American football but of the gyrating hips of the league's scantily clad, fresh-faced cheerleaders.

The other night, I watched Daughters of the Sexual Revolution: The Untold Story of the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders. It tells the story of Texas legend Suzanne Mitchell, who created the Cowboys cheer squad, as we know it today. I liked it. It's frisky and informative. I think I have a non-sexual crush on Dana Adam Shapiro. He makes films like I make pancakes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sayaka Ganz creates amazing art menagerie from discarded plastics

I could never get enough of Sayaka Ganz . The Japanese-born artist saves the planet from plastic, at the same time creates brilliant animal sculptures. Raised under the Japanese philosophy of Shintoism, she hopes to bring greater awareness to the condition of our environment through her art. When creating sculptures, Sayaka organizes the reclaimed plastic objects into color groups, constructs a wire frame, and then carefully attaches the fragments of waste until she creates the shape she has envisioned. Her work has been exhibited in many places around the globe, among them Parma, Tokyo, Denver, New York, and San Francisco to name a few. Sayaka's Reclaimed Creations is currently on view at the Asian Arts & Culture Center at Towson University in Maryland. She regularly posts on Facebook, so be sure to like and follow her page for updates.

'Women of the Future,' according to vintage trading cards

Firefighter In 1902, French artist Albert Bergeret printed this set of trading cards depicting women and their futuristic occupations as firefighters, politicians, soldiers, lawyers, and journalists. Titled Women of the Future , these collectibles were released primarily for the boys, that's why many of these outfits fall more on the side of post-Victorian pin-up calendar than professional attire. General Marine Journalist Artist [h/t: Dangerous Minds ]

Thai artist paints on mosquito nets

I find them quite intriguing, these ghostly portraits that Uttaporn Nimmalaikaew paints on mosquito nets. His creations look like a hologram, changing form depending on where the viewer stands. Overall, they're gloomy, haunting, and endlessly fascinating. I could stare at them for ages. [h/t: Colossal ]