Skip to main content

Have you heard of prosopagnosia?


Watched Kung Paano Siya Nawala last night for the fifth time. So why have I seen it so many times? I think it's because I like it a wee bit more with each viewing, which doesn't happen with many Filipino movies. Ang ganda ni Rhian, and she is so darn good in it that she forces you to love the character she's playing. The casting of JM De Guzman in the lead role is also superb.

Lio (De Guzman) has prosopagnosia, commonly called face blindness, which means he has trouble recognizing familiar faces and learning to recognize new ones. He walks right past his officemates, his friends, his girlfriend, without being able to recognize them.

I first learned about face blindness in 2012, when I watched a report by Lesley Stahl on 60 Minutes. It can be embarrassing, and it can offend people. Unfortunately, there are no widely accepted treatments. Although prosopagnosia is described as "blindness", it has nothing to do with sight, but rather with a diminished ability to create the concept of a face and memorize it.

Keep going for the full movie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai artist paints on mosquito nets

I find them quite intriguing, these ghostly portraits that Uttaporn Nimmalaikaew paints on mosquito nets. His creations look like a hologram, changing form depending on where the viewer stands. Overall, they're gloomy, haunting, and endlessly fascinating. I could stare at them for ages. [h/t: Colossal ]

'Women of the Future,' according to vintage trading cards

Firefighter In 1902, French artist Albert Bergeret printed this set of trading cards depicting women and their futuristic occupations as firefighters, politicians, soldiers, lawyers, and journalists. Titled Women of the Future , these collectibles were released primarily for the boys, that's why many of these outfits fall more on the side of post-Victorian pin-up calendar than professional attire. General Marine Journalist Artist [h/t: Dangerous Minds ]

When Mickey Went Gothic

In the 1930s, Universal's hits like Dracula and Frankenstein had everyone buzzing, and Walt Disney wanted a piece of that spooky action for his biggest star. The result was The Mad Doctor —a frantic, gothic horror show where Mickey Mouse has to brave a booby-trapped castle full of dancing, self-assembling skeletons to rescue his snatched dog, Pluto. It was the first time audiences saw a truly terrified Mickey. Not only did some theaters refuse to screen the short film, but the British Board of Film Censors (BBFC) outright banned it, deeming it "too gruesome" for kids.