Skip to main content

Something I Felt Like Writing This Morning…


Before fatherhood found me, I edited videos for television stations and various companies. It's about digitizing clips, unearthing the perfect sequence, picking the right music, and finding the one line in a two-hour interview that the producer wants to include.

On a Thursday morning during my stint at TV 5, I paid a heavy toll. It was 4 AM, and to keep up, I’d become a connoisseur of the free kapeng barako from the pantry. Piles of half-eaten fast food take out boxes, empty cans of Coke and energy drink, and abandoned coffee cups covered our desks.

A single cup turned into three, then six, then eight. I had a deadline and that liberica was the only thing keeping me awake. In the corner, hunched over a pair of white headphones, was Neil, the master editor. On the other side of the room, gfx artist Ronald was silently polishing his After Effects animation.

The room started to spin. I gripped the edge of my seat. Neil walked over, his eyes wide with concern, and put his hand on my shoulder. "You okay, man?" he asked. I bobbed my head and tried to stand up, but my knees wobbled. I sat down on the couch and Ronald gave me a glass of water.

I lit a cigarette and made a promise: never again. Or, at least, not before lunch.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai artist paints on mosquito nets

I find them quite intriguing, these ghostly portraits that Uttaporn Nimmalaikaew paints on mosquito nets. His creations look like a hologram, changing form depending on where the viewer stands. Overall, they're gloomy, haunting, and endlessly fascinating. I could stare at them for ages. [h/t: Colossal ]

'Women of the Future,' according to vintage trading cards

Firefighter In 1902, French artist Albert Bergeret printed this set of trading cards depicting women and their futuristic occupations as firefighters, politicians, soldiers, lawyers, and journalists. Titled Women of the Future , these collectibles were released primarily for the boys, that's why many of these outfits fall more on the side of post-Victorian pin-up calendar than professional attire. General Marine Journalist Artist [h/t: Dangerous Minds ]

When Mickey Went Gothic

In the 1930s, Universal's hits like Dracula and Frankenstein had everyone buzzing, and Walt Disney wanted a piece of that spooky action for his biggest star. The result was The Mad Doctor —a frantic, gothic horror show where Mickey Mouse has to brave a booby-trapped castle full of dancing, self-assembling skeletons to rescue his snatched dog, Pluto. It was the first time audiences saw a truly terrified Mickey. Not only did some theaters refuse to screen the short film, but the British Board of Film Censors (BBFC) outright banned it, deeming it "too gruesome" for kids.