Skip to main content

An Attempt to Outsmart My Fish-Obsessed Friends


09 September 2015

Roxas City is full of wonderful, happy people, and the longer I'm here, the more like home it feels. Today is my last day in Capiz. I set the alarm for 7 a.m. but was up at 5:30. My laundry was still wet. I placed the clothes in a trash bag and put them inside my backpack. I should’ve had one of those Baye-Baye and a very strong cup of coffee, because the next stage was a half-hour walk to the harbor.

A couple of weeks ago, I developed what some might call a "fish problem." Prior to that, I never even thought about fish. I mean, I knew they existed, but I never really paid attention to them.

But then I started hearing some of my friends talking about different types of aquatic animals, and I became curious. What was all the fuss about? They weren't becoming marine biologists; they were just becoming irritatingly articulate about the difference between a Wrasse and a Snapper, and I began to feel like I was the only one who couldn't relate.

My mission: become a fish expert in 48 hours, armed only with a laptop and a profound fear of missing out. So, I watched as many YouTube videos as I could, and this documentary captured my attention.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adorable Sculptures of Yen Yen Lo

These images are from a series of wall sculptures created by Yen Yen Lo . Here you can see her intricately textured ceramic pieces, looking downright adorable. Yen Yen Lo's eye for the unique and whimsical is delightful. Apparently they are not intended for kids under 16. Fifteen-year-olds cannot be trusted with fragile stuff. Get them a Funko Pop instead.

Weirdly Charming

If you’re a fan of art that makes you do a double-take, you need to check out  Richard Brener . Based in the UK, Richard is an internationally collected artist who works primarily with ink, fineliners, and gouache. When you first see his pieces, they actually look pretty playful. Then you realize the entire canvas is packed with thousands of tiny, ghost-like shapes he calls "champs." They’re all squeezed together like commuters on a rush-hour train, and the level of detail is honestly mind-blowing. Richard spends hundreds of hours drawing these little guys over and over. It’s obsessive, very intentional, and a little bit wild. The cool part is that the longer you stare, the more the vibe shifts. Check out more photos below:

Enigmatic Shapes and Psychedelic Patterns

To say that I love Sanagi 's work is an understatement. Looking at her art feels sort of therapeutic, and I find her drawings refreshingly intricate. They're trippy, psychedelic, and resemble something that you might see under a microscope. Not much is Googleable about Sanagi, but that's fine. There aren't many artists these days that still pull off the whole mysterious vibe, so I commend her for that. By the way... they're all hand-drawn with pen and ink.