Skip to main content

Is it real or is it fabric?


I'm an anxious man who worries about a lot of things. So, the last thing I need is a high-maintenance houseplant. Every botanical enthusiast, even a reluctant one like me, has their holy grail, and right now, my current fascination is the Euphorbia obesa.

When you first see this thing, you'll think it's fake. It's a perfectly plump, seamed sphere that looks entirely sculpted and belongs in a museum. This rare succulent, sometimes called the "baseball plant," hails from South Africa. It is wonderfully low-maintenance and can happily go months, perhaps even years, without a drop of water.

It's a perfect organism, really. It doesn't need constant affirmation, it doesn't bark at 2 a.m., and it doesn't require a subscription. I want the Euphorbia obesa to be my new housemate, and if I get one, I think the relationship might actually last. Assuming, of course, that I don't overwater it or accidentally knock it over during a panic attack.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai artist paints on mosquito nets

I find them quite intriguing, these ghostly portraits that Uttaporn Nimmalaikaew paints on mosquito nets. His creations look like a hologram, changing form depending on where the viewer stands. Overall, they're gloomy, haunting, and endlessly fascinating. I could stare at them for ages. [h/t: Colossal ]

'Women of the Future,' according to vintage trading cards

Firefighter In 1902, French artist Albert Bergeret printed this set of trading cards depicting women and their futuristic occupations as firefighters, politicians, soldiers, lawyers, and journalists. Titled Women of the Future , these collectibles were released primarily for the boys, that's why many of these outfits fall more on the side of post-Victorian pin-up calendar than professional attire. General Marine Journalist Artist [h/t: Dangerous Minds ]

When Mickey Went Gothic

In the 1930s, Universal's hits like Dracula and Frankenstein had everyone buzzing, and Walt Disney wanted a piece of that spooky action for his biggest star. The result was The Mad Doctor —a frantic, gothic horror show where Mickey Mouse has to brave a booby-trapped castle full of dancing, self-assembling skeletons to rescue his snatched dog, Pluto. It was the first time audiences saw a truly terrified Mickey. Not only did some theaters refuse to screen the short film, but the British Board of Film Censors (BBFC) outright banned it, deeming it "too gruesome" for kids.