Skip to main content

Midday Muse



Yesterday, just across the street from a coffee shop near the town square, someone caught my attention. A girl, no more than sixteen, though perhaps younger, appeared on the sidewalk with her dog. She wore a beautiful sundress, the kind that sways gently in the late afternoon breeze. She was striking. Mixed race, maybe a European father and a Filipina mother. And there was something about her aura, the way she moved, that reminded me of a ballerina from a Degas painting.

For a moment, I couldn’t quite place what it was that drew my gaze. I’m forty-six, married, a father of two. It’s been years since the sight of a stranger has stopped me mid-step. But there she was, and I felt a quick, disorienting pull. Not love, not even lust in the conventional sense, but something more confusing.

She walked into a nearby pizzeria, her dog trotting obediently beside her. I followed — not out of any conscious decision, but more out of curiosity, the kind that makes us read the ending of a story even when we already suspect how it turns out. She ordered something at the counter. I sat near the door, pretending to wait for my turn, aware of the absurdity of it all.

There’s a moment, when we catch ourselves watching someone much younger, when the mind splits into two voices. One whispers with impulse; the other asks, What are you doing? I stared, yes. At her posture, her legs, her face, her back, the way she brushed her hair aside. And in that instant, I felt both attraction and shame. Attraction, because she was beautiful, effortless, composed. Shame, because I knew this was a beauty that wasn’t meant for me.

I wondered: was this a flicker of biology, that ancient signal of vitality and fertility hardwired into our species? Or was it something sadder. The yearning of a middle-aged man confronted by the fading edges of his own youth? For too many men, the term jailbait isn’t a warning but an invitation. I’d like to think I’m not one of them. But I knew I was in denial.

She took her food, thanked the cashier, and left. Just like that, she was gone; leaving me sitting with a slice of pizza, a milkshake, and an unsettling cocktail of guilt and fascination.

Even hours later, I couldn’t shake the image. It wasn’t about her, not really. It was about me. About what her presence had stirred. Maybe this is what aging does: it exposes the quiet anxieties we carry about desire, youth, and relevance. Perhaps what I felt wasn’t lust at all, but a kind of longing. Not for her, but for the man I used to be when someone like her might have looked back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai artist paints on mosquito nets

I find them quite intriguing, these ghostly portraits that Uttaporn Nimmalaikaew paints on mosquito nets. His creations look like a hologram, changing form depending on where the viewer stands. Overall, they're gloomy, haunting, and endlessly fascinating. I could stare at them for ages. [h/t: Colossal ]

Experiencing Flight Through an Eagle's Eyes

Have you ever looked up and wondered, "What does it feel like to soar majestically like an eagle?" This video offers a captivating glimpse. Expert bird handler Lloyd Buck attached a small 360-degree camera and a GPS tracker directly to the back of one of these magnificent predatory birds. The entire setup creates a stunning, first-person virtual reality experience—only this one is real and features a creature with an impressively large wingspan. However, this isn't just for cool footage. The real mission is to capture valuable scientific data: examining how quickly an eagle can gain altitude and precisely how its incredible wings are adapted to achieve such breathtaking, effortless lift.

Drawn, layered and torn

Tin-aw Art Gallery led me to Lui Gonzales . This UP graduate creates stunning works of art by drawing, layering and eventually tearing them. The result is a riotous, visual feast. Her work is a reminder that before you can experiment, you have to have the skills. And, before you can be a rebel, you have to understand what you're tearing apart. No pun intended. Lui starts by drawing on tracing paper after deciding how many layers of illustrations would be included in the piece. The average is five. But she once made a 32-layer work that took a year to finish. Then, after layering one over the other, she rips the paper from top to bottom. Lui was one of the delegates who represented the Philippines at the 2010 ASEAN Youth Camp for Visual Arts in Vietnam. She had her first solo exhibition in 2018 at Eskinita Gallery titled Colorless Confetti , followed by a group show,  Simulcra , in Singapore last February. If you happen to be in Metro Manila, I suggest y...